The Second Fishers Island School (1916-1971)
James S. Casey’s cottage and photography studio, Fishers Island, N.Y., circa 1918. This cottage is today painted a distinctive blue and sits at the base of the hill across from the former Grebe/Stern house. James S. Casey: Fishers Island’s First Resident Photographer James S. Casey, Fishers Island’s first resident photographer, lived in
Claypit Views and Brickyard Maps From The History of Brickmaking on Fishers Island At its height in the 1880s, the brickyard on Fishers Island was one of the largest in the Northeast—some claimed the entire country—with a production capacity of 18 million bricks per annum.
Horse Shows on Fishers Island Many residents of Fishers Island today are surprised to learn that from 1927 to 1933 there were elaborate annual horse shows on Fishers Island staged just northeast of today’s Driving Range at Middle Farms. They were complicated sporting
Fishers Island High School Basketball Over Time FIHS Basketball Year unknown: L to R: Harry Devitt (kneeling), Harley Woods (standing), Frank Berrian (sitting), ___?, Chadwick (sitting) H. Middleton (standing), J. Pyle (kneeling) 1929 FIHS Girls Basketball STANDING: Majorie Wood, Dorothy
The Changing Face of the Lyles Beach & Munnatawket Hotels The Lyles Beach Hotel (1882-1891) Billed as “The Coney Island of the East”, the Lyles Beach Hotel was Fishers Island’s first major hotel. Located on the island’s north shore several hundred yards west of the entrance to West Harbor, the Lyles Beach catered primarily
Island Telephone 1890’s ~ Fishers Island’s Telephone Co. is Formed The Fishers Island Telephone Co. was formed in the early 1890s by the Ferguson brothers. 1920’s ~ Olmsted Plan An infrastructure upgrade known as the “Olmsted Plan” brought brand new telephone lines and