Island History: Moose on Fishers Island by Pierce Rafferty Colonial records indicate that in the early 1700s, just over three hundred years ago, moose could be found on Fishers Island. Then, as now, inhabitants of our region would have been shocked to bump into a live “moose-deere,” for Fishers Island was well south of
The history of Fishers Island can be experienced one step at a time when walking the Brickyard Pond Trail in the L.F. Boker Doyle Sanctuary and the Clay Pit Trail.
James S. Casey’s cottage and photography studio, Fishers Island, N.Y., circa 1918. This cottage is today painted a distinctive blue and sits at the base of the hill across from the former Grebe/Stern house. James S. Casey: Fishers Island’s First Resident Photographer James S. Casey, Fishers Island’s first resident photographer, lived in
Claypit Views and Brickyard Maps From The History of Brickmaking on Fishers Island At its height in the 1880s, the brickyard on Fishers Island was one of the largest in the Northeast—some claimed the entire country—with a production capacity of 18 million bricks per annum.
ISLAND HISTORY Fishers Island in the Revolutionary War by Pierce Rafferty “Genl. Howe Evacuating Boston,” engraving by J. Godfrey, circa 1861. Museum Collection. The first rumblings of the American Revolution reached our shores in late May 1773, some six months before the Boston Tea Party. According to an account published in a
Fishers Island High School Basketball Over Time FIHS Basketball Year unknown: L to R: Harry Devitt (kneeling), Harley Woods (standing), Frank Berrian (sitting), ___?, Chadwick (sitting) H. Middleton (standing), J. Pyle (kneeling) 1929 FIHS Girls Basketball STANDING: Majorie Wood, Dorothy
Mystic Isle underway and approaching Silver Eel Cove Remembering the Mystic Isle We Fishers Islanders love our ferries, and those of us who are “of a certain age” wax particularly poetic over the M/V Mystic Isle, remembered fondly from our childhoods with its red leather seats, muraled walls and quirky onboarding midship. It
Island History: Pirates in Our Region by Pierce Rafferty On Block Island On July 12, 1690, the residents of Block Island were alarmed when a small fleet—consisting of one bark, one ketch, two sloops and smaller craft—appeared off their coast. Although the vessels were flying English colors, there was no certainty of their allegiance to
Water surging over Money Pond during the hurricane. From The Henry L. Ferguson Museum Newsletter 2018 The following account of the 1938 Hurricane’s effect on Fishers Island was found in the Museum’s files. It was unsigned. Please contact the Museum if you are able to identify the author. Please note that September 21,
M.V. Islander after conversion for service in World War II. by Polly Edmonds Director’s note: The following account of ferry transportation in the 1940s is from the December 1967 issue of “Polly’s Letter,” a newsletter distributed by realtor, shop owner, and Ferry Commissioner Polly Edmonds. It was sent out semi-annually from 1964 until