Fishers Island is one of the last remaining places where Eelgrass (Zostera marina) thrives in New York waters. Once found in every harbor, creek and cove on the East Coast, this critically important species is now only found in cool, clear and often wave-swept waters like those
Island Electricity 1899 ~ Fishers Island’s first electric power plant began operations Fishers Island’s first electric power plant began operations in 1899 in a brick structure that still stands across the street just north of today’s Goose Island Gas Station (formerly
Construction of the New Water Filtration Plant, Fishers Island, NY, circa 1927. All photographs in this gallery were taken for or by Mr. Donald F. Hine, an engineer who worked on the development of the east end of Fishers Island in the mid-1920s
Throughout the decades, the Post Office steadfastly remained based in the same corner office as today. The Administration Building has served as H.Q. for the Fishers Island Utility Corp. while doubling as the island’s most visited daily destination, the venerable Fishers Island Post Office. (From
South Beach (1895 – 1914) South Beach was the social beach on Fishers Island during the pre-automobile era when the island’s east end beaches were relatively difficult to reach by horse and buggy. A band from the Mansion House Hotel played for beach-goers at South Beach on a daily basis for several years during
In 1971, the HLFM received a donation from Jansen Noyes, Sr. that enabled the construction and maintenance of a new Museum, given in memory of his late wife, Agnes Blancke Noyes. Completed in 1972, it was designed and built by Fishers Island contractor
The Museum's first home from 1960 to 1972 was in a rented store front in Gladys Baker's home, today Bobby and Susie Parson's "No Vue." The same store front once hosted the Post Office and Polly's Shop. The Museum moved to its current Equestrian Avenue site in 1972.
These photos show fieldwork at several archaeological sites on Fishers Island during the 1990s. Dr. Bob Funk, New York State archaeologist, and Dr. John Pfeiffer, president of the Connecticut State Archaeological Association, led teams of volunteers and other visiting archaeologists during a decade long project (1986-1996) to discover new information on Fishers Island's prehistory.
This series of photos documents some HLFM children's programs that featured visiting educators from the Children's Museum of Southeastern Connecticut, Niantic, Conn. and the Denison Pequotsepos Nature Center, Mystic, Conn.