From The American Field
November 29, 1884
In 1884, the estate of Robert R. Fox, primary owner of Fishers Island, leased the island’s east end to a private sportsmen’s club. The new club, a precursor to the Fishers Island Sportsmens Club, operated under the name “Fisher’s Island Club.” Its members, sportsmen from the New York metropolitan area, established a game preserve and imported 200 pairs of quail, four pairs of German hares, and five pairs of English pheasants for their first field trials, held on November 17-18, 1884. These were the first dog trials ever held on Fishers Island and quite likely the first pheasants to arrive on our shores.